2011年12月28日水曜日

our citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3:20)

I am a huge fan of Brooke Fraser, a young kiwi singer who is also an articulate and passionate Christian poet. In her spare time, she also gets access to clean water for dozens of impoverished communities in Ethiopia and advocates for Rwandan children. You know, that sort of thing.

I've been thinking recently of her "C.S. Lewis Song." In it, she does an astonishingly good job of condensing and putting to music one of Lewis' arguments for God, heaven, faith: namely, that our desire for something higher, better, more permanent, etc. implies the reality of the object of our desire.

Just as the ability to feel hunger and want food implies the existence of food, our longing for union with God, heaven, divine joy implies the existence of those things.
If I find in myself desires nothing in this world can satisfy,
I can only conclude that I was not made for here
If the flesh that I fight is at best only light and momentary,
then of course I'll feel nude when to where I'm destined I'm compared

In other words, it makes no sense for us to have an ingrained desire for something that has no objective reality.

I think atheists would agree: Yes, it makes no sense. It is senseless.

But it takes a lot of blind faith to believe in that degree of senselessness. I'll stick with the much more likely probability that the desire has a real relationship to the thing that can satisfy the desire.

And so if all our money and material comforts can't satisfy us, if success can't satisfy us, if even romantic love and family don't entirely fill up the hole in our hearts, it must be because the hole is God-shaped.

Of course, Lewis was taking his cue from St. Augustine:
"You have made us for yourself, Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you."
But maybe I'm most psyched by the fact that Brooke Fraser knows Lewis and likes him enough to write a song about one of his ideas. He would be well chuffed* to know that--in fact, I imagine he is.

My admiration has almost nothing to do with the fact that she is also stunningly beautiful...

* "chuffed" is New Zealand slang for "pleased and excited"

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿